Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Spicy Chorizo Corn Chowder

When I browse thru magazines, the recipes I try to focus on have items that are growing in my garden.  This chowder recipe caught my eye immediatly because it has a couple of items from my garden, poblano chilies and fresh basil and it is pretty simple to make.

2 Poblano Chilies
12 oz chorizo, casing removed
4 cups fresh corn kernals, about 3 ears
2 cups chicken broth, reduced sodium
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup sliced basil leaves

The poblano chilies need to be blackened and have the skin removed, my husband does this for me on the grill, puts them in a zip lock bag for a few minutes and the skin comes off pretty easy. Let cool, remove stem, seeds and chop.


Cook chorizo, breaking up sausage, discard any fat.
Cut corn from each ear.
In a saucepan, add cooked chorizo, corn and chicken broth, bring to a boil and cook until corn is tender, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Reduce heat to simmer, add cream and poblanos.
Ladle into bowls, sprinkle with onion and basil.

For some reason my computer did not want to load all the pictures, trust me it was yummy!

Thank you Sunset Magazine for the recipe!




No comments:

Post a Comment