Sunday, March 20, 2011

Day #9 - Bars, Hamburgers and Golden Parmesan Potatoes

This past Thursday was St. Patrick's Day, of course for us that means we go to the Redi Room to eat Corned Beef and Cabbage, this has been our tradition for the past 6 or 7 years and every year it is delicious.  We got an extra dose of fun because the Redi Room has regular Karaoke on Thursday's, nothing like watching drunk people sing (I should know, I am usually one of them).  We had a great time, cousin Jody came and my sister and B, however I drank a couple too many adult beverages, let's just say I wasn't feeling 100% on Friday, but I made it through my day at work.  Tom and I were invited to attend a grand opening of a new BBQ place (the company I work for did the remodel work), our plan was to go to the grand opening, have a little food and go home to sit on the couch, of course things never work out that way.  First, the owner of another local pub/restaurant was at the same grand opening, he is also one of Tom's customer's, he and Tom decided to take a walk and look at another bar in this same complex, when they came back, I noticed the Rockstar (a friend of Tom's) was with them, we then decided to leave and go to to the the pub/restaurant and have some dinner and more drinks. Dinner was good (Shepherds Pie), we had a couple more drinks, the boys played a few games of darts,  but Tom and I really just wanted to go home and relax, we finally did at 11pm.  Tom had to work the next day, which means he has to be in a bar most of the day running a dart tournament and I was going to a birthday party at a place called the Saddlerack.  The Saddlerack has been around forever, we used to go there in our twenties, there is a mechanical bull, bands, just like the movie "Urban Cowboy" (best movie EVER).  Well, I knew I was not looking for love in all the wrong places and I was the designated driver, I decided that watching all the drunk people would be fun, most of these people (mostly women) really need to learn how to dress appropriately for their size, and I guess that when you are drunk these days, these women all turn into wanna be pole dancers (believe me, they ALL needed to take a few lessons).  It had been raining all day and since I was the designated driver, I was trying to be careful on the freeway for the ride home, staying in the slow lane and going the speed limit, I was just saying to the other girls in the car that with all the rain, it was hard to see the lines in the road and the next thing you knew, my car started hydroplaning, scared the you know what out of me!  I remember Tom telling me not to break if that ever happened, how on earth did I remember that! I said a quick prayer and I got the car straightened out and thank god we were fine, the only thing I wanted to do at that point was go home and pull the covers over my head! Finally, we made it home, I told Tom what happened and fell asleep. Today we had to go to another bar for a baby shower, there was no way I could drink again, so I stuck with diet pepsi, I think I'm done with being in a bar for awhile. 

Tom and I always love talking about what we are going to have for dinner, so this morning he had my mouth watering when he mentioned the Bacon, Blue Cheese Burgers he wanted to make.  I decided that some Golden Parmesan Potatoes would be a good companion for these. The potato recipe was something my grandma must of clipped out of a newspaper at some point, they sure sounded good to me.

Golden Parmesan Potatoes:
6 large potatoes
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
3/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/3 cup butter
Chopped Parsley

Cut up the potatoes in chunks.  Combine, flour, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper in a bag.  Moisten potatoes with water and shake a few at a time in bag, coating the potatoes well.
Melt butter in 13 x 9" baking pan, place potatoes in pan, bake 375 for about 1 hour, turning once during the baking.  When golden brown, sprinkle with parsley.


Some of the things I love about cooking my grandma's recipes, is that there are very few ingredients, the recipes aren't fancy and they are good comfort food. 


I can't give out the recipe for the hamburgers because Tom doesn't usually write things down, he just starts throwing things together and everything always turns out good.  I have been bugging him to cook the hamburgers in the cast iron skillet for awhile now, that is how I remember eating a burger growing up, can't wait to taste it!

No comments:

Post a Comment