Friday, March 4, 2011

Day #5 - Apple Pie

My family abandoned me again! Well, technically Sarah is at her mom's house because it's her weekend and Tom is in Las Vegas to see the NASCAR race with Sean Sweeney.  I invited my sister, Katie and brother-in-law, B over for dinner tomorrow night because B fixed my computer last weekend, we are going to have a chicken casserole, some green beans, bread, fruit and a homemade apple pie.  I had to "build" (as my friend Andy would say) my casserole tonight because it has to refridgerate overnight and "build" my apple pie because I will be with Sarah at her opening day ceremonies for softball tomorrow.  Last year Sarah won the Hit-A-Thon and Tom won the raffle for Disneyland tickets, I hope this year we are that lucky!  Sarah has played softball since she was 8, she will be 14 next week (where has the time gone?), she is a great catcher and she plays with a great bunch of girls.  I didn't play softball growing up, I was a soccer player, but watching these girls and learning the game is a lot of fun.  I am glad that I get to be a part of Sarah's life and I am glad that she get's to have the experience of growing up and playing on a team, these are times she will remember for the rest of her life.  I still stay in touch with my soccer friends from my childhood and I can't wait to get back to playing again (probably in the fall).

For the apple pie, I have a recipe, but not precise measurements, I kind of learned this one by watching my grandma make it. 

Filling:
6 apples, I like Granny smith
Juice of one lemon
Brown sugar (about 1/2 cup)
White sugar (about 1/2 cup)
Flour (about 1/4 cup)
Cinnamon
Nutmeg
Mix all this together and put in the refridgerator until you roll out the pie crust.


The pie crust is:
3 cups flour
1 1/4 cup flour
1 egg
1 tsp vinegar
5 TBSP cold water (add more if dough is too dry)
Mix all of this together


Divide in two, roll out a bottom crust, put in pie pan, pour in apple filling, put a few dabs of butter on apple filling and roll out crust for top. Brush the top of the pie with milk and sprinkle with sugar.

Bake 15 minutes at 400, then 45 minutes at 375.


We'll serve this with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, yum!  My dad always liked a slice of cheddar cheese on his pie, I think that is a mid west thing.  I wish my dad was still alive, he would get a kick out all of this.

The best part of making a pie are the pie dough treats that come afterward, these are my sister Katie's favorites!  My sister gets a little "testy" if she doesn't get any of these. These are pretty simple to make, use the leftover pie crust pieces, roll out flat, spread with butter and top with brown supar and cinnamon

roll up like a jelly roll and slice



put on cookie sheet and bake at 400 for about 15-20 minutes.


If I thought the house smelled good when the banana bread was baking, it doesn't even compare to some yummy cinnamon goodness that happened in my kitchen tonight, DeAnn I wish you were here with me! Thanks for sharing, via text messages, a glass of wine with me! Tomorrow we'll see how the chicken casserole turns out!

1 comment:

  1. This is such a great and fun thing you are doing Michele. Your pie looks delicious and can't wait to hear how the whole dinner goes.

    ReplyDelete