Sunday, March 13, 2011

Day #8 - Sugar Cookies and Sarah's Birthday

Sarah's birthday was March 10th, she wanted to go to Original Joe's, which is a local Italian restaurant that we love, so Tom and I took her to dinner for her birthday and we ate some yummy Italian food.  We also decided that we would make dinner for her on March 12th and invite some family and friends over to celebrate, we wanted to keep it "old school", we let Sarah pick out whatever she wanted to eat and she decided she wanted her dad's enchilada's and I asked her if I could make her a cake.  The menu consisted of chicken enchilada's with a delicious chili verde/limey sauce, ground beef enchilada's with a red sauce, spanish rice, corn salsa and salad.  I decided to make homemade Devil's Food cake with a chocolate glaze. Instead of a traditional layer cake, I thought it would be fun to make "little cakes" with a bundt cake pan I had gotten years ago.  I think Tom and I cooked all day, well Tom cooked all day, I made the "cakes" and cleaned the house. By the time everyone ate dinner, drank a few adult beverages and ate birthday cake, Tom and I were exhausted and it was only 9pm!  After cleaning up the mess, Tom sat in the big chair, I went and took out my contacts, by the time I got back to the living room, maybe 5 minutes later, he was sound asleep.

Tom's yummy enchilada's:

Sarah's Birthday "Cakes"

Tom and I knew we had leftover enchilada's to eat for dinner, so he suggested that I make a dessert or something sweet to eat for after dinner.  I threw out a few suggestions and we decided that I would make some sugar cookies.  Tom suggested that I put some lemon icing on the cookies, like his grandma used to make for him.  We had a bag of lemons in the garage, thanks to Buttercup's dad from last week.

Here is the recipe:
1 cup sugar
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup butter
2 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt(I don't use this much because I use salted butter)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cream of tartar
4 cup + 2 TBSP flour

Cream butter and sugars, add eggs, then oil and vanilla.  Beat until fluffy. Combine dry ingredients and add to creamed mixture.  Chill dough for 1 hour.  Roll into 1 inch balls and flatten or roll and cut. Bake 375 for about 11-13 minutes.




One of the things Tom and I agree on, we actually agree on a lot of things, but we love to have our friends and family over for dinners.  When I was in the process of getting divorced from husband #1, my house was under construction because it was being remodeled.  Tom and I had re-connected at that time, we probably hadn't seen each other in about a year, he came over and helped me out with some painting and the only thing he wanted in return was for me to make him my chili enchilada's.  I didn't get around to making those chili enchilada's for a few months for other reasons I won't get into right now, but when I did, I thought it would just be Tom, Sarah and me for dinner.  Well, it turned out that my sister and B stayed for dinner and Tom and Sarah brought Uncle Shakey and Sean Sweeney.  Tom asked if there was enough for everyone and my reply was "If we don't, we'll make more".  That has been the motto around here ever since, we'll always have enough for whoever shows up.

No comments:

Post a Comment