Monday, February 21, 2011

Day #2 - Orange Eggnog-Scicles

Tom asked me this morning, before he went to work, what I was going to cook today (since I had the day off). Well, I have decided to make "Orange Eggnog-Scicles".  This is one of the things I always remember my grandma having in her freezer when we would come for a visit, her freezer was in her basement and if I remember correctly it was a walk in to the left as you came down the stairs(I called my mom to see if she remembered and she said that I was correct and every year my grandma would buy a side of beef and it would be in her freezer).  It's a good thing I went for a run this morning, because these are not low fat, however they are in a dixie cup so the portion is small, if you can eat just one!

Here is the recipe:
1 pint vanilla ice cream
1-6oz can(3/4 cup) frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
1 egg
1 1/2 cup milk(I used 2%)


Combine the ice cream, oj and egg, mix with a hand mixer


Gradually add the milk, beating constantly


Fill 3oz dixie cups with the mixture, when partially frozen, insert a wooden popsicle stick

Then just let them freeze and be ready for creamy, orangy yummy goodness!

I didn't have to work today (I love holiday's), so I got up had my coffee, talked to my friend Tina, ran 3 miles and talked to my neighbor for awhile.  It wasn't raining today, so my dog, Bill and I went for a walk.  Bill loves his walks, but only in his neighborhood, he has a routine that he likes to stick too, he is a very special dog.  As we were walking, I happened to look down, (my dad always told me to look down because their might be money on the ground or when you are running, you don't want to trip and fall,I have done the latter a few times and it hurts and is very embarassing), well there in the gutter was a $20.00 bill!  I thought for sure I was on one of those "blooper" shows, so I looked up and down the street before I picked it up, I kind of felt like I was stealing, I put that money in my pocket and thought I am going to have a great day, I got onto the next street and found 2 more pennies! Man it is my lucky day! When I got home I texted Tom and my "Bonus" child, Sarah (we don't do steps in this house) and told them that I found 2002 pennies!  For some reason, when ever I find money on the ground, it is always in pennies, if I find a quarter, I tell Sarah I found 25 pennies, I know she thinks I am crazy, but I can't change that.  Well, long story, I used the $20.00 to pay for my "Orange Eggnog-Scicles".  Hope you enjoy them, we are taste testing with my sister and Brian.

2 comments:

  1. This is the recipe that I remember the most because she always had them handy in her freezer when we would come visit. They tasted exactly the way I remembered it. Must make more in the summer!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those would be great for grand kids.

    ReplyDelete